Friday, July 22, 2011

Altered Globe - Simon Says Stamp + Show

Simon Says Stamp and Show is having another Design Team call -- I applied once before, and wasn't accepted... but the two girls they chose do WONDERFUL work (so I'm not THAT hurt lol), and I'm sure there are HUNDREDS of gorgeous applications this time around, too. So I've told myself "Go big or go home!" And the theme this week is EMBOSSING - in each of the photo descriptions I've bolded the appropriate embossing technique!

All week I've been working on altering this globe I found @ A garage sale for $1.



I have a feeling that this will always be a work in progress... as it's so large and each theme (you'll see) can be added to indefinitely, but I thought this was a great stopping point for the moment.. and I'm enjoying just sitting back and soaking in the meaning!

-from here on out I suggest clicking the photos to see them in their actual size!!-

"HOME"

--the beginning of everything is NATURE.. so no matter what's on the outside, we should remember we're always animals on the inside. Driven by emotion and instinct.--
-paper, scrabble tiles, stazon, hinges, brads, a door knob, hot glue, viva las vegastamps miracle tape, wire, distress ink, momento, embossing powder (smooth black)-

I chose to take large sections of the globe and turn them into themes of life or themes of the world.. Kind of like paths you take in your journey of life :) I started by cutting the shapes out of manilla folders and inking them to look like old leather. I then adhered down the folders with Miracle Tape by Viva Las Vegastamps! Because IT.ROCKS. From there I set out to make each piece it's own meaningful story.

"CELEBRATE"

--all about color and fun, adventure, trying new things and loving every minute--
-paper, tissue paper, distress ink, momento, manilla tag, hemp, stazon, mod podge, water, Viva Las Vegastamps! stamps, miracle tape, TH stamps, alligator clip, hot glue-

"TRUCKIN' ALONG"

--sometimes all we're doing is mozying through... and that's ok!--
-paper, distress ink, miracle tape, grungeboard, distress embossing powder(walnut stain), th stamp, hot glue, manilla tag, TH embossing folder (on the A L N G) random round find, Qtip cotton-

"EXPLORE"

--seek out the place you've never been and return to all your favorites--
-distress ink, brown pen, Art Blanche chipboard letters, offbrand chipboard letters, diamond glaze-

"FLY"

--don't be afraid to spread your wings or fill your balloon with a little hot air once in a while--
-Viva Las Vegastamps! stamp, smooth black embossing powder, distress ink, manilla tag, black pen, art blanche chipboard letters, hot glue, 3d pop dots-

"RECORD YOUR LEGACY"

--tell your story!!--
-7Gypsies stamp, distress ink, stazon, GraphicsFairy graphic, feather, hot glue-

"BRAVE THE STORM"

--it gets hard, but if we don't keep going we'll never see the sunshine on the other side!--
-grungboard, distress ink, manilla tag, Prismacolor marker, black pen, Echo park letter stickers, dymo label maker, Viva Las Vegastamps! Umbrella man stamp, tissue paper, mod podge, hot glue-

I have another spot open I think I'll do "Love, Family and Friends" in.. what do you think?? Maybe an "Invention" spot? I love big projects like this!!

I'm also linking up to Grungy Monday - Chipboard

9 comments:

  1. That's amazing! I love your collage-style.

    ReplyDelete
  2. now that I can see it bigger than my phone, I do love it! So amazing all the work you did on it, I can see you adding to it for years... just a little something here & there

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the first globe i have ever seen altered and I must say I LOVE IT, every element is just perfect, a real work of art :O)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a real work of love and I am sure you will be high in the rankings ;0) Thanks for playing with the grunge and sharing with us Dxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, my gosh, DeeDee! This is absolutely wonderful!! And who'd think to alter a globe? Genius!! [Good luck with the DT call!]

    Thank you for sharing this outstanding creation with the Simon Says Stamp & Show Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  6. DeeDee, I know you are a humble gal, but I need to say it again - you are so talented and creative! This is really a work of art! Good luck with the design team call! They would be lucky to have you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're so creative and talented D2!

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW!! If they don't pick you, they are INSANE. This is absolutely fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my word this is truly amazing!!! They will be missing out for sure if they don't pick you!!!

    ReplyDelete